Saturday, September 19, 2009

1935 Bianchi Corsica

Enough video related posts for the moment. Let's move on to one of my personal passions: Bikes. I found this gem on My Old Bicycle. It's a 1935 Bianchi Corsica, and I just cannot stop looking at it. From its wood rims, to its beautiful chrome braze-ons with their red accents -- I just am totally perplexed by the beauty of this old machine. The manual three-speed selection and ratcheting chain tensioner are things I have just never seen before.

I really feel like modern mass production has removed detailed and inspired design from the grasp of the common man. This piece, with no detail too small -- right down to the beautiful water bottle, is a total contradiction to what most people think of when they conger up their definition of a bicycle in their minds. I think this is just one of many similar travesties brought upon us by making products that do everything for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment